At Home with the Nimmos
May 27 2016
6.30pm: Arrive home from work.
As I get out of the car I’m assaulted by the two dogs. Entwined in this assault is the mandatory leg massage from the two cats who are waiting at the front door.
Once through the animal blockade I make my way inside where I’m greeted by a few grunts of recognition. The little cherubs are busy. I could tell you that they were engaged in doing their homework under the watchful eye of Simon, but that would be an exaggeration. It was all computer games, phone texting to friends while Simon was prepping for dinner. He was downing a beer in a lounge chair.
My life is hectic with kids, ageing parents, four animals, a shop plus a part time job and the love of my life, Simon.
I feel it’s imperative that I come clean and let you know that meals times at the Nimmos do not in any way resemble, a spread in a gourmet magazine.
Last night was no exception.
Simon had luckily hit the local farmers markets during the week so taking centre stage was the fresh cauliflower, some Mt Warning chipolatas, potatoes and carrots.
To dazzle the veggies and the family taste buds I included Finger Lime Vinegar that I’d grabbed off The Modern Grocer shelf a few days earlier.
The meal that eventually made its way to the table was:
1. Carrot and Current Salad
· Grated Carrot – more than the other stuff
· Whte Shallot
· Dijon Mustard
· Lemon Juice
· Olive Oil
· Salt and pepper
· mix the dressing through the ingredients and let stand for 15 minutes before serving to let the flavours infuse.
2. Potato/egg/bacon Salad
· Roasted potato – any type
· Bacon cut into pieces and fried until crisp
· Boiled eggs – peeled and chopped
· Roasted and Salted Cashews
· Sour cream – mix this through the ingredients above.
Serve with chilli flakes and fresh parsley and dill
3. Cauliflower/buckwheat Salad
· Roasted Cauliflower Florets
· Roasted buckwheat (approximately 1 cup)
· Finger lime vinegar...the star ingredient that made the meal POP!
· Fresh Chilli chopped – leave the seeds in for some zing
· Mix warm cauliflower and buckwheat and dressing, leave to sit for 15 minutes for flavours to infuse and serve
Dinner is served! And I’m stuffed!